Sunday, November 9, 2008

I Lost My Comic Book Virginity Too!

I think the author of the review described the moments leading up to reading the popular graphic novel perfectly. I too had never dabbled in the comic scene. I enjoyed the movies that were made after the comics had been published, but that was about it. The day I purchased the graphic novel, near the beginning of the semester, it definitely interested me. I turned through some pages seeing how the writing flowed and how the graphic depictions made reading more interesting. I couldn't wait for the graphic novel to become our class discussion topic.

As I begun reading, and we began discussing the graphic novel, it was very clear that this book had many deep meanings. I was almost overwhelmed. I wanted to read and survey each page a few times to help with these hidden meanings (only if I had the time). When I graduate in December, I think I will come back to The Watchmen and re-read the very interesting and insightful writing. We said it right in class...this book could take up a whole semester discussing.

The author of the review said, "More than I expected with this rite of passage, of losing my comic book virginity, I was taken to the warm buzz of a liminal zone, a place out of rung with normal routine where growth is allowed and upon returning from which, a person is never seen or sees the same way again." That sums it up perfectly.

I have already been recommended this graphic novel to friends, family, and my fellow workmates. I am excited, but nervous, about how The Watchmen will come out on film.

No comments: