Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Try at Barthelme's Style

My mind is racing. Around and around the track it goes. I sit here wondering. Wondering what I could have done differently; how I could have prevented this. Maybe a better question, could I have prevented this? I knew something was wrong when the suit asked me to see him in his office with that straight-forward tone. The tone that let me know this wasn't a normal meeting. All I remember is him saying something along the lines of we're better off without you. And just like that I'm jobless.

"Oh everything will be fine," my Mother says, "it is just fate, you will find a better place, where you can..." My mind started to wander at that point. What is fate? I think the word she was looking for was life. It is just life. Sure, it may work out for the best. But fate isn't going to guide me. I could sit on my ass and wait for fate to take over. But, that's not going to work. This is life. This is an ordinary occurrence, and it is now in my hands to make changes and improve the way I perform my assigned duties. Fate, hah. Life throws many curve balls; this is one of them, and I am going to hit it out of the park. Fate is going to stay on the bench watching and waiting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Fate, hah. Life throws many curve balls; this is one of them, and I am going to hit it out of the park. Fate is going to stay on the bench watching and waiting."

Wow - that is great!